Thursday, March 10, 2011

Introduction

When I was younger, I used to keep a handwritten journal. It was a simple black spiral notebook, with a soccer ball on the cover. I remember the first day I got it, exactly where I was and what I was doing. Some days, I would carry the journal around with me, and just write down my day as it happened. Even now, I still have it in my dresser draw, all filled up with memories, and it's wonderful to go through it every now and then, seeing the thoughts that went through my head as a child. 

But in this journal, I would also keep track of my dreams. My journal entries would usually begin with something like "I had this dream last night" and then go on to describe it in full detail. And the rest of the entry would be about my day. I would also often have lucid dreams, which are much more popular these days. If you do not know what a lucid dream is, it is a dream that you have complete control over because you are aware you are dreaming. Recently, this has become more popular with the release of the film Inception, but lucid dreams are a bit different from that. A few months back, I was talking to my friend about lucid dreams, talking about how I used to have them a lot as a kid, but hadn't had them in a very long time. It got me wondering why I hadn't had them any more, so I decided to research what causes them. It was then that I learned that keeping a journal of your dreams can help to trigger lucid dreams. Especially if you read over them. By thinking about dreams a lot, you will eventually begin to realize when you are dreaming...possibly. There are various other tricks to trigger lucid dreaming, but this is the one that had worked for me.

So, this blog will be used to keep track of my dreams. I'm not doing this because I want to have lucid dreams, really, but actually because I want to remember the crazy dreams I already have. Even the nightmares. And if I start to have lucid dreams again (I did have one recently) then I know that keeping a journal is what triggers them for me. I don't know who will really care to read about this blog, but I know back in high school, in a certain class I had a group of friends, and we would usually have group work every class. On occasion, I would tell them about a weird dream I had the night before. One of my friends would always tell me I should write a book about all the crazy stuff I dream. I don't think anyone would really want to pay money to read someone else's dreams, especially when they can just create dreams of their own. But I do love sharing stories. So hopefully, someone will listen. 

2 comments:

  1. Im an amateur lucid dreamer myself very interesting will be coming back for more tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got onto the lucid dreaming train a while ago but quickly lost hope, hopefully by following you I can try and get motivated again! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete